Thursday, July 17, 2014

Class 4 (17 July 2014)


Magna Carta
Today was a fun day! The class tour took us to the British Library where I got to see one of four copies remaining of the Magna Carta. It is also believed that the original copy of the document could be one of the four copies remaining, so for all I know, I was a class away from the Magna Carta. It turns out that after we left the room, there should had not been any photography inside the area, but I accidentally snapped a picture to show you all! I think that was probably the most exciting part of my day… to see something so important and popular. For those who may have forgot the “Magna Carta was the first document imposed upon a King of England by a group of his subjects, the feudal barons, in an attempt to limit his powers by law and protect their rights” according to historytoday.com. There was also another neat area of the museum where they show you how they restore old books. There are videos literally showing you step-by-step how they restore books and their covers. I know it sounds kind of boring now that I explain it, but when I was in there, the gallery had my full attention. I like knowing how things are made, and well that kind of reconstructed a book.


After the museum I headed off to Piccadilly Circus, which is an area sort of resembling that of New York’s Time Square. There were a ton of stores, people and even Chinatown! It was interesting to see the different people there and the different types of food. I ended up spending so much money at the stores buying souvenirs. I think the retail therapy made me feel a whole lot better… geez we’re really such Americans :/

No comments:

Post a Comment